Phd Week 1, day 4

So I picked up my student card, found the library, experienced deep insecurity and general feeling of awkwardness.  Took two attempts but did eventually remember how to use a university library.  Not that it is so much about remembering, as learning, its not really the same as it was 12 years ago.

First note to self: learn fast how to read on computer screen.

First Phd routable on Tuesday, very interesting to meet the other students.  Mixed feelings of competence and complete incompetence.  I know about the issues (some of), but the language and theories are lost on me.  Also I think I was slipping into work mode, reasonably confident and assertive without necessarily knowing what I am talking about, perhaps I should hold back?  May have accused academics of living in ivory towers, considering the company perhaps not my wisest move.

Second note to self: Watch, listen, learn, this is not a campaign meeting there is something else going on.

So far have managed the reading for this week's lectures, but I think its going to be tough to stay on top of all of this.  Mind you different people seems to have very different approaches to the readings, with some putting them at centre of discussion and others appearing to skirt around them.  Vincent Browne was in the Feminist and Egalitarian research class.

Third note to self: Vincent Browne does not know who you are just because you met him once.

I am excited though, looking forward to this phase, looking forward to figuring out the research topic, and really looking forward to training myself to read and think again.  I now know what the difference is between a census and a survey, and I got to use that information in a professional context!  Felt very informed.

Fourth note to self: Like the idea of a research journal, might try and make this it, though track record of sustaining these things is not amazing!